Monday, April 15, 2013

A Book for Every Reading Teacher

As my senior year draws to a close, I find myself bombarded with projects that I have been putting off all semester. Papers, presentations, readings, the list goes on and on. And the planning and researching of 2nd grade is so much more fun to focus on! But alas, I must finish my work because graduation is an important step on the way to my own classroom.

That being said, there is one book that I just could not put down. This may be a part of my "The Bedside Table" posts, but it never made it to the bedside! Straight from the bookstore to being finished. What book is it you ask? It is The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child by Donalyn Miller.

I discovered the book from a friend at school who insisted I read it. She let me borrow her copy but suggested I get my own because I would want to take notes. I took her copy and thought I would just read it and buy my own at some point. I only got through the introduction and first chapter before I knew that I needed my own copy! Once I really got reading I was highlighting, sticky-noting, and agreeing as I went. 
Miller does a wonderful job of practically showing how she interweaves reading into her schedule and giving classroom snapshots. Although she is a middle school teacher, I think that a lot of these same methods could be applied to just about any grade. Don't just take my word for it, every teacher should read this book! 


No comments:

Post a Comment